Sometimes life can seem tough. It is during these times that we can be vulnerable to suicidal thoughts and actions. Choose Life Services is there to help in times of crisis and provide support and counselling services for anyone in the community that feels they are at risk of suicide. If you or someone you know requires support it helps to talk about it, call CLS on 1300 132 098. If someone is at immediate risk of suicide please call 000.
Warning signs may include:
- Crying and irritability
- A sense of loss
- A sense of hopelessness and/or helplessness
- Expressing feelings about death
- Giving away of possessions
- Sudden heightening of mood after a significant period of depression
- Sudden weight changes or refusing to eat
- Unexplained wounds, cuts or abrasions
Things you can do:
- Encourage them to talk about it
- Ask them if they are having thoughts of suicide or not wanting to live anymore
- Offer to support them and encourage them to see a Dr. or a counsellor
- Stay with them if possible until they can be linked in with family/friends/professional support
- Contact CLS, Lifeline or the Police.
Remember it is important for you to stay safe: do not put yourself in danger.
CLS offer a range of courses to equip people in the community to effectively identify suicide risk and respond to suicidality in the community. Please contact CLS for more information.